I’ve always wanted a hobby. I tried to be a work out fanatic…that was tiring and I was always sore. Then I tried cooking and baking… great idea but not if you’re not exercising. I moved on to scrapbooking… I liked this one- maybe I should get back into it. I was actually pretty good too and made my husband a scrapbook from the kids that I add a page to every year (I’m two years behind but I swear I’ll catch up this year…..)
In the meantime, life got busy. I have 3 kids, worked a full time job or was in school. Then we moved from the US to London (awesome I know!) and within a year of that move we were relocated to Shanghai, China. This move made my life less busy… a lot less busy. My 3 kids are now in school for an amazing 7.5 hrs a day and I have full time help at home. This has left me with lots of free time. After 5 months of lunches, luncheons (food with a guest speaker) and shopping I decided it was time to find a hobby… again. I started doing Pilates 3 days a week (love it and won’t quit this time) and while I love to cook the process isn’t as easy as it is in the US and London. Western ingredients are expensive and not always easy to find.
My sister-in-law tried to get me into mosaics, but tiles need to be cut perfect, glue needs to dry (yawn!), and my biggest problem was space. I needed somewhere to do it where glass can fly around and my kids won’t step on them. So that ended my attempt to be a mosaic goddess.
Well back to what I do best, shopping and lunches. But ugh… I need something else to do. The Shanghai Community Center offers classes like mosaics (no thanks!), cooking (I can read a cookbook), and quilting…. What?! Quilting? Years ago in the US I used to sit at my kids karate class and watch my son’s best friends grandmother quilt. (Maybe I should have been watching my kids perfect their kata’s but that’s neither here nor there) Her quilts were lovely but working a full time job and raising 3 kids meant my time and patience for a hobby like this was limited. But NOW, NOW I have time! Inspired by fond memories I enrolled in the class, ready and eager to learn.
Unfortunately or maybe fortunately, the class wasn’t what I was expecting. We learned how to hand stitch patchwork pieces and that was about it. My first piece, a pin cushion is truly nothing to bag about.
I made a pillow which was quite a bit better.
There was a silver lining though, I was INSPIRED! Hand stitching is relaxing. It doesn’t require a dedicated space, I won’t get fat doing it, and fabric is ridiculously cheap and plentiful in China.
(Quilting sounds like fun, but I’m pretty sure I’ll need a lot of practice with other techniques before I venture on to quilting.)
EUREKA! I found a hobby! I always considered myself mentally artsy, but realistically I’m not what you would call an artsy person. Can I be creative? Maybe. Yes! The answer is YES! That’s my goal here folks. I’ve always wanted to be creative and now is my chance.
I headed to the fabric market and filled up a bag of scraps for less than $15, bought thread, needles, and tailor chalk then set out to practice my hand stitching technique. Check out a few of the things I’ve made so far:
#1′s Pillow. Woohoo! The corners matched up! It’s great! He loves it and I love it! Mission accomplished!
I worked on hand stitching at home for about a week. I got the hang of it rather quickly, but I’m definitely not a professional yet. Even though hand stitching is a slow process, I really didn’t mind it. I made a Pinterest board of Patchwork Inspiration. I downloaded some cool apps for more ideas and tips. So far so good.
On Monday, during Pilates (I think we were doing squats) I had an idea! My youngest is having a 4th birthday party- each girl is getting a princess crown and wand… that will be presented on a hand made pillow! 16 pillows- Talk about a good way to get a lot of practice in. I could do it by hand but I knew it would be faster with a sewing machine. 2 problems. #1: I don’t have a sewing machine. #2: I’ve never used a sewing machine… like EVER! So I sent an email to my neighbors in search of a reliable used one (no need to invest in a brand new one at this stage) and got a hit right away. I bought a Brothers GS3700 and they even threw in a bunch of accessories like scissors, A2 self-healing mat, a fabric cutting wheel, and tons of thread.
My hobby has officially begun! Please follow me on this new adventure. Give me ideas of what to make and your thoughts, tips and suggestions for improving my projects. I know I’ll thrive with your encouragement…
Next post: #3′s Birthday Pillow Goodie Gift Set
No comments:
Post a Comment