Monday, June 2, 2014

Pretty Pink Pillows

So #3's 4th birthday is coming up. It's a princess theme (of course) and all the little girls will receive a wand and crown as a parting gift. Sewing 16 pillows is a lot of work. Measure... Measure... Cut.... repeat. Trace the template (I used a large square trivet) and line up the two patterns.


Next the fun part... I get to use my sewing machine for the very first time! Thanks to my neighbor who I bought the machine from and gave me an hour and half tutorial on how to use it, I was able to start right away. It took a while to spool the thread. Then a while to get the thread properly threaded. But once all the prep work was done I was ready to sew. Eeeeek! So fun!

It took the whole day, but I did it! The sewing then began. Then stopped because I kept jamming the spool. Make sure to completely cut the excess string after you spool your thread to avoid this. Sometimes I went to fast and pulled on the fabric too much which left some of my pillows with loose stitching. I went back and redid them- they need to look perfect for my pretty princess.

Lots of work, but my first sewing project is nearly complete. All I have left is to stuff and hand stitch the last opening. 16 pillows sewn and stitched. I also made 6 boy pillows using green plaid and car themed fabric. They turned out really nice although they could have used more stuffing.

For the next few weeks, I'm going to practice making straight stitches. Repetition is key when sewing. I saw so many cool and well done projects on Pinterest that I thought sewing would just be a breeze, but it really requires a lot of practice. The key to making straight lines is

  1. Straight cuts. Using a cutting pad and roller blade makes that easier.
  2. Don't pull on the fabric from the back as it goes through the machine. I know it's tempting but it screws up your line. Gently guide the fabric through the front as you feed it into the machine.
  3. Slow and steady wins the race. No really- go slow. Going fast guarantees you'll need to resew. Grrr....
My next project which will require plenty of straight lines as well as arcs is.... CORD WRAPPERS. They're small, cute and ever so useful. You'll never have cords strewn all over the floor. Stay tuned friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment